Feb. 1, 2018, 4:23 p.m.
The 95 foot Pou Kara named Whakakotahitanga-o-nga-iwi-e-rua,was erected in Kororareka on Maiki hill under the direction of Maihi Kawiti in January 1858
Governor Gore Browne attended a hui in Kororareka Russell the week before and was invited to attend the erection of the new pou. However Brownes officials advised him not to attend the ceremony as they still feared the intentions of northern Maori.
A commemoration anniversary of the pou karra acknowledges the sighnificance of the flagstaff, which represents the challenge to maintain the spirit of Tiriti and partnership - for all in Taitokerau and the whole of Aotearoa.